367 Dickson Road
Houma, LA 70363
Fabricates, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, wallboard, and all other such components related to the construction and completion of work aboard ships and in shipyard facilities following blueprints, lay-out drawings, sketches, building plans, or oral instructions.
Scheduled days cover Monday thru Friday. Weekends and holidays as required. May be required to perform work at remote locations other than at shipyard facility. May be required to work alone and in confined spaces. Works in all kinds of weather. Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. Subject to Mechanical and electrical hazards, ultra violet light vibration, noise, and a variety of other physical conditions such as a proximity to moving mechanical parts, working on scaffolding and ladders at height greater than 6 ft., working over water, working in confined spaces, dramatic temperature changes, fumes, smoke, dust, gases, chemicals, and hydrocarbons. Protective clothing, hearing and eye protection, hardhats, safety shoes or boots and respiratory protection are to be worn accordingly.
Essential Job Functions (listing most important first)
- Selects specified type of material to be used. Prepares layout, using rule, square, or whatever tool necessary.
- Forms up concrete if necessary.
- Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials, using pencil, chalk, or marking instrument.
- Shapes materials to prescribed measurements.
- Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together using nails, screws, dowel pins, and glue.
- Erects framework for structures and lays subflooring.
- Builds stairs, and lays out and installs partitions.
- Installs insulation in walls, ceilings, and floors.
- May tack weld metal parts to steel structural members.
- May use hand torch to cut necessary holes or notches.
- Fits and installs prefabricated window frames, windows, door frames, doors, interior and exterior panels and trim, weather stripping, and all other finish hardware, such as locks, hinges, knobs, and vents.
- Builds, repairs, and installs counters, cabinets, benches, tables, and all other components associated with the finish work on vessels, using hand tools and power tools.
- Performs incidental tasks such as transporting tools, materials, and supplies. May use overhead cranes. May also operate company vehicles.
Essential Job Requirements
Education and Vocation
- Must be able to read and write alphabetically and numerically.
- Vocational education; high school, commercial or shop training, or technical school. In house training; organized study provided by the employer. On-the-job training; serving as a learner or trainee on the job under the instruction of a qualified worker.
- Must be able to provide verifiable references of past work experience.
Repetitive sequences that require balancing, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, lifting, finger manipulation, grasping, feeling, seeing, hearing, speaking, and an acute sense of smell.
The U.S. Dept. of Labor classify this job as medium work. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater that negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for light work.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
E.O.E. AA M/F/VET/Disability